Monday, November 1, 2010

I love my Husband

I just had the pleasure of a simple, spur of the moment, and really fun date with my husband. We were trying to figure out when we could fit in a date night this week, when we suddenly realized that tonight was the best candidate! So we took off right after we finished eating dinner, mere minutes after our realization. I love that my younger sister lives with us, and could babysit at literally a moments notice. We spruced up a tad bit, and headed to Starbucks. We had yummy coffee, and some desserts, and lovely conversation about the successes we had had today, and the joy we can find in our daily jobs if we will only remember to look for it. We finished up our food, but we weren't ready to head home yet, so we went to the mall for some window shopping. It was so much fun!
I am grateful for the thoughtfulness of Solomon, that he was making date night a high priority. He noticed that our usual date night (Thursday) wasn't going to work this week, and he became  the driving force behind finding an alternative. I feel very Loved and significant.  We have such busy lives, as so many people do these days, and yet he took the time to tell me he loved me with a simple and easy date. Just time for the two of us to walk around and hold hands.  We used to do that all the time before we got married. Everywhere we went we held hands, and found ways to keep in physical contact whenever possible. It's not shocking that the urge to stay in contact fades after  few years of marriage. But I relish the times that we recall the joy of just holding hands. Having small children makes the chances to be physically close more rare, and that makes them more precious. I guess that's on purpose on the Lord's part. Having children can cause lots of stress and strife, even be the source of resentment and argument. And yet it can be used to create a challenge to intimacy that can create renewed desire. It's the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing, or the "rubberband stretch" that John Grey talks about.
Tonight was a great treat to "sneak" away together and have some time for just the two of us.
Thanks Solomon, I love you.

No comments: